2 Dec 2010

Oh dear... no end to the misery of hosting!

Well, I had high hopes that my move from a reseller hosting account to my own VPS with WebhostUK.net would work out and that finally I could focus on getting my hosting business up and running. Sadly, it was not to be. As said in my earlier post the staff at WebhostingUK.net have been very friendly but despite their best efforts I have had no end of problems.

Here are just some:

• Site not visible by others in different locations around the world
Wordpress 'fatal error: out of memory' errors
• Wordpress dashboard crashes
• Images failing to be loaded by the server
• 500 error messages (signifying a server issue)

I spent most of my time trying to resolve these issues, posting support tickets and trying to get the staff to understand exactly what was happening, replicate the problems and solve them. In spite of several staff trying and assuring me the problems had all been solved they just kept coming back.

As I was also trying to develop a website for a client at the time it was extremely frustrating to say the least.

In desperation I started looking around for another hosting company and in the end I have settled on UKFast. This time I avoided a VPS package and gone the whole hog and chosen a dedicated server. Hopefully this will avoid any issues with virtualisation. It's more expensive than a VPS but from a business perspective something that works is better than something that is cheaper but doesn't work. I managed to negotiate a good deal (a mix of a cheaper price and some extra features for free). They have won several awards and are used by the likes of HSBC and UKTV.

I am waiting for the engineer to setup my new server and once it is handed over I shall be able to configure my various accounts and packages. I will let you know how it goes. All need now is for confirmation that my existing account has been cancelled.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment